Chocolate and zucchini are a match made in heaven, as far as I’m concerned! I love the way that zucchini adds moisture to baked goods (evidenced by my other recipes for Zucchini Lemon Bread, No Fail Zucchini Bread, and Zucchini Cinnamon Freezer Muffins!) and these dark chocolate zucchini cupcakes are no exception.
Of course we probably all hope that adding zucchini also adds a bit of nutritional value – but, hey, they are cupcakes, after all. Though I DID try to make them as real-food healthy as possible by using less sugar and more chocolate than normal cupcakes, in addition to using a healthy fat and whole wheat pastry flour. So I’ll let you be the judge.
The frosting, though – well, that’s another story. I have one – and only one – chocolate frosting that I use and it’s THE best frosting ever. And I don’t say that lightly. Everyone loves it. But of course it uses lots of butter and powdered sugar, so it’s definitely a special treat (I’ll be publishing it soon as a separate recipe since it deserves it’s own post, in the meantime you can dust the cupcakes with powdered sugar or use your own frosting recipe – I sometimes use a peanut putter frosting as well).
There’s nothing fancy or time-consuming with this recipe, it’s simply a matter of mixing the wet ingredients with the dry and dividing the batter between lined muffin tins. It will probably work with frozen shredded zucchini as well, if you have any put away.
The recipe makes 24 cupcakes and they freeze beautifully (frosted or not), so you can have cupcakes whenever the occasion calls for them.
And with less sugar and more chocolate these cupcakes really do have a darker chocolate flavor, which I’m always aiming for with any chocolate recipe. Bring on the chocolate!PRINT
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 2 c. shredded zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. brown sugar (or sucanat)
- 3/4 c. coconut oil, melted (olive oil works, too)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 c. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- frosting of choice or powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Add zucchini, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add remaining cupcake ingredients, mixing until all is combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the lined cups (the cups will be about half full).
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Frost with your favorite frosting (chocolate or peanut butter are both good) or dust with powdered sugar when they are completely cooled.