This is a quick, simple whole-meal dish that turned out quite good, so I’m sure it will become a regular part of our menu repertoire. I love shrimp in any form, and mixing it with feta, vegetables, and orzo- well, it’s just one of my favorite combinations. I hope you’ll try it (if you don’t do shrimp, it would be good with cooked chicken, too).
These are the ingredients you’ll need: sliced carrots, sliced onion, chopped garlic, chopped fresh spinach (this is from my garden- whoo!), and shrimp (this was pre-cooked that I had in the freezer, raw would work, too, just allow more time to peel). Not pictured are the feta and some Kalamata olives I decided to add after I took the picture. They’re optional, but don’t they sound just right with the other ingredients?
The other main ingredient is Orzo, which you will need to cook according to the package directions, which is about 10 minutes and, coincidentally the amount of time needed to chop and prep the vegetables. I love it when that happens!
Saute the carrots and onions in olive oil over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another couple of minutes until the carrots are tender.
Add the chopped spinach and cook a minute until wilted (if using raw shrimp, add it now).
Add the cooked shrimp and Kalamata olives now, and stir to combine over medium-low heat to warm the shrimp.
Drain the orzo and add to the pot with the vegetables, stirring to thoroughly combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Greek-Style Shrimp and Orzo
- 8 oz. orzo pasta
- 1 medium onion, cut in half, then sliced thin
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 TB. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, sliced (optional)
- 12 oz. large shrimp, pre-cooked or peeled and shelled (if raw)
- 1 bag (6 oz) baby spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add orzo and boil according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots and onions to the skillet and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the raw shrimp now, if using, along with the spinach and cook until done. If using cooked shrimp, add it after the spinach has wilted along with the olives and stir until warmed through.
- Drain the orzo and add to the skillet, stirring well to mix all the ingredients.
- Transfer to a large platter and sprinkle with the feta.
Makes 4 to 6 servings