Isn’t this basket of beans quite the sight for the second week in October? After a few weeks of only handfuls of green beans, the Emerite green beans that I wrote about last year are in the “second wind” stage and are producing lovely, firm beans. Which is something for this time of year. Not all do. Many just give up, and some beans will produce hollow beans. The plants don’t look lovely – brown and relatively leafless at the bottoms, but new growth, flowers, and beans at the top. Which is fine with me.
Since it’s a blessing to have fresh beans and I’ve already made enough Canned Pickled Green Beans, I’ll be using these to make some of my favorite recipes:
- Awesome Garlic Green Beans
- Green Beans with Caramelized Onions & Tomatoes or the similar Green Beans with Tomato & Onion Sauce
- One last recipe of Summer Pasta Salad with Green Beans & Tomatoes
We’ve had the earliest frost in a number of years, coming last Friday on the 5th – just a light frost at 34 degrees, which was enough to brown the basil and zucchini and slow the tomatoes and peppers.
I have about 50 pounds of tomatoes left to process which I plan to use for:
- diced, canned tomatoes (Ball Blue Book recipe)
- Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Another batch of Copycat Rotel (I’ll use this method to Peel Tomatoes the Easy Way)
- Lower Sugar Addictive Tomato Chutney (I can never have enough!)
Then it’s just what I can coax into turning red for eating. Sometimes using the paper bag trick, I can get tomatoes into November, but with the early frost, I’m thinking we’ll be lucky to still have garden tomatoes through October.
With the peppers I’ll do three things:
- Freeze them: so simple and allows me to use them all winter in soups and casseroles.
- Can a batch of Roasted Red Peppers in Wine
- Make Roasted Sausages, Peppers & Onions – yum!
I loved all of your fall-themed links in last week’s TGP – I’m looking forward to this week and seeing more of what your October gardens are doing!
NEXT WEEK is our season-ending TGP blowout! Here’s how it will work next week:
- Pick one of your favorite TGP posts from the last season – anything from March through October
- Link that post up again next week for our 2012 Favorites Party
- Just by linking up, you’ll be entered to win a gift certificate to one of my favorite online seed catalogs!
The giveaway is open to anyone who participated this last season – even if it was only one time! Just come and link up your post and you will have a chance to win some “seed money” for next year’s garden.