Can you believe it’s August already? Time for another monthly menu, but first I want to share a bit of our July. I have to say I’m enjoying our warm weather this year after last year’s cold and gray summer. Brian and I decided we weren’t going to mope around the house while both kids were working at our church’s summer camp during July, so we took a few trips.
We spent a couple days on the Oregon coast – which was beautiful, but sadly cold, windy and foggy in the mornings. Sigh. However, we did find a pleasant place out of the wind at a restaurant on the bay in Florence where we were served this fish and chips. It was yummy and had crisp fries – always a good thing in my book – but have you ever seen fried fish shaped like this before? It was solid flake fish inside and the restaurant said it was the largest restaurant serving sustainable fish in the west (or something like that). Interesting.
Then we had wonderful weather for a few days in Central Oregon visiting my dad and his sweet wife. There was a small forest fire making the skies hazy, but it was perfect weather for kayaking – so fun! We were treated to osprey that flew over us, diving occasionally for fish, and even teaching a youth to fish. It was like our own nature show.
With the nice weather, we’ve been taking every opportunity to enjoy our redone backyard – including hosting my sister’s family for dinner. I made a Greek taverna-style meal: tzatziki & pita, Greek Salad, Chicken souvlaki, beefteki, and a new dish I loved – cauliflower stifado. And a blondie a la mode for dessert. Good times!
And this? Not so good times. After more than a year of waiting in our garage, I finally started deconstructing my French chairs only to find that all the staples are rusted and break into two pieces when I try to pull them out (from being painted – the previous owner had removed the gimp and painted over the staples). Every.single.one. This little section? It took an hour to remove all the staple pieces – seriously an hour. Arrgh.
As far as our menu, I find August fun to plan for – I know the garden will be producing zucchini, tomatoes, basil, potatoes, corn, and more. I get to make some of my favorite meals with just-picked vegetables – woot!
I think August and September are the months I think about way back in February and March when I’m starting my seeds and planning the garden. Bring it on!
- Chef’s salads, grilled bread (multiple times – sometimes with salmon, other times with leftover grilled meats)
- BBQ Ribs, Easy Grilled Vegetables, Grilled Artisan Bread, garden salad
- BBQ Beef (slowcooker) in tortillas, Asian Slaw, toppings: cheese, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, etc.
- Grilled salmon, grilled vegetables, pasta salad with garden vegetables
- Summer Bacon-corn tart, garden salad
- Curried chicken-salad wraps, Tomato-Feta Salad
- Grilled chicken, Caesar Slaw, Zucchini-Feta Fritters
- Grilled sausages, grilled vegetables, grilled artisan bread
- Italian Sausage Pasta Primavera
- Greek souvlaki, Greek salad, pita & tzatziki
- Shrimp-Vegetable stir-fry, brown rice, tomato salad
- Teriyaki chicken skewers, Spicy Noodle Salad (with green beans)
- Homemade Pizza
- Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Tomato-bean salad, rice
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Salad
- Garden vegetable stir fry with pork, rice
- Greek Tuna-Tomato Salad, Grilled Artisan Bread
- Shrimp & Green Beans on White Bean Puree, garden salad, grilled artisan bread