Wha-hoo- two more days of this blasted eat from the pantry thing, and I can shop like normal! Though, I don’t know why I’m griping so much, ’cause it really hasn’t been that hard. In fact, we have quite a few things still in the freezer that I could build some meals around like:
- Frozen and cooked beans. Add some rice and pantry tomatoes for a classic economic dish.
- Frozen salmon. We ended up not using this last week, so it’s going on the new menu.
- Frozen potstickers. Again, something I had scheduled that we ended up not using.
- A new ham bone plus two packages of frozen, diced ham from the meal we had yesterday.
- One pound each of sausage, shrimp, and un-cured hot dogs.
- Plus our garden Roasted Tomato Sauce, corn, green beans and frozen berries and jams.
- We’ve still got a stash of pasta and enough flour for bread-baking this week.
Gee…maybe we should just keep eating from our pantry?
Um, no. I never like to have an empty freezer or pantry, as that means I have to buy things at whatever the price is at the store when I need it. What I have stocked up was purchased- for the most part- on sale or at the rock-bottom price.
What do I need now that I will buy right away (besides perishables)? Cheese, olive oil, canned tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, eggs, and meats.
So, really- not too bad. And we don’t have an empty freezer which ends up being hard on the next month’s budget, so it’s all good.
Now that I can shop regularly again.
Tuesday- Individual Cheesy Crust Ham Pie (there I go with the ramekins again…), chopped salad (using up bits of fresh vegetables we’ve got left, probably mixed with some cooked beans)
Wednesday- Bean, sausage, & kale gratin (I’m making this up- stay tuned if it turns out!), sourdough bread, green salad
Thursday- Potstickers (frozen), rice, stir-fried vegetables
Saturday- Homemade Individual Pizzas (this is a super quick crust!)
Sunday- Birthday party, then probably snacks with the Superbowl