Believe it or not, chocolate syrup is a basic in our house. Don’t hate me, but my husband makes us cappuccinos every morning and drizzles just a bit of syrup in mine. Mmmm…it’s a wonderful way to wake up (for almost 13 years, too!). Update: Go here to see Brian’s step-by-step video on how to make awesome cappuccinos at home!
Of course we do occasionally use it for ice cream and when I’m feeling like a chef or something, I’ll drizzle some on the plates before I serve pieces of cake. Needless to say, I used to buy it regularly- then came the curse of reading labels. Uck. It’s like, 2 inches long- in fine print. What is all that?
This is more like it – just four little ol’ ingredients. Ah…I’m already breathin’ easier. And the time it takes to make? How about 5 minutes:
How to make chocolate syrup
1. Add sugar, cocoa, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. I’m not sure why it’s there, it just always is- probably adds depth of flavor, or something.
2. Measure one cup of boiling water and pour about half into the cocoa mixture.
3. Whisk until a paste forms, getting out as many lumps as you can.
4. Add the remainder of the water, stirring until smooth and then bring to a low simmer over medium heat, stirring often (“low simmer” means bubbles just breaking the surface – like the photo on the right) Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note: Don’t forget it on the stove – sadly, I’ve had to throw out batches that were burned badly on the bottom from my inattention.
5. Remove from heat, and add the vanilla. It will boil when it hits, but just stir it in- I like to take a big whiff of it at this point. Heavenly.
6. Let it cool about an hour. It’s most simple to leave it on the stove and give it a little stir once in a while, though I’m sure I’ve left it more than an hour before…
7. Find a jar to store it in. We use an old salad dressing jar that we couldn’t find the lid for, so we found an old milk jug lid that fit just right. Have you got the idea yet just how fancy-shmancy we are around here?
Ours probably lasts 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator, but like I said, we use it daily. I’m sure it would last longer if needed.PRINT
Homemade Chocolate Syrup
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 – 1 cup sugar; lower amount makes “dark chocolate syrup” (Update: see comments for other sweetener options!)
- pinch salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix cocoa, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in enough boiling water to form a smooth paste. Stir in remaining water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Let simmer 2-3 minutes (I like the longer time as it makes the syrup a bit thicker), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Let cool.
- Scrape it into a bottle or jar and store in the refrigerator 3-4 weeks (or longer?).