I might be drug kicking and screaming into fall, but this simple dish of roasted sausages with peppers and onions sure helps ease the transition. The colors look like fall with all the ripe peppers from the garden and it fills the house with a glorious scent. And that it takes only a few minutes to toss together and just 30 minutes to cook are another reason you might love this meal, but trust me – it’s all about the flavor. You might never want onions and peppers cooked any other way now.
It’s so simple to make: turn the oven to 450 degrees and cut some peppers and onions in chunks, making them approximately the same size for even cooking. This is one of those loose “recipes” where you use the amount that you either have on hand, or need to feed the number of people you’re planning for. For my family of four, I used 4 medium size onions, and about 3 or 4 regular size peppers.
Then I just pile the vegetables in the center of a large baking sheet or roasting pan and drizzle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. I like to line the pan with a silicone liner or parchment so none of the good browned vegetables get stuck to the pan.
Sprinkle with seasonings: my go-to seasoning for roasting, grilling, and baking (OK, I guess everything….) is my Pantry Basics Spice Rub. But I would always use salt, pepper, garlic, and maybe some Italian herbs like rosemary, thyme, and basil. Now mix everything together and spread out on the baking sheet.
Place some uncooked Italian sausages among the vegetables (if using pre-cooked, add them the last 15 minutes of cooking). I like to place the sausages around the edges. Roast for 30 minutes or until it looks like this:
And I just have to add that the onions and peppers are so good on bread as a “bruschetta” type topping. Really good- so you might want to serve Easy Artisan Bread with this.
I’m just sayin.’PRINT
Roasted Sausage, Peppers, and Onions*
- 3 to 4 medium onions
- 3 to 4 sweet red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- 2 to 3 Tb. olive oil
- seasoning of choice: spice rub or salt, pepper, & Italian herbs
- 4 to 6 links of Italian sausage
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut onions and peppers in even-sized chunks.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Mix well and spread on a large baking pan lined with a silicone liner or parchment.
- Place uncooked sausages among the vegetables (if using pre-cooked sausages, add during last 15 minutes of cooking).
- Roast for 30 minutes or until sausages are completely done and vegetables are browned.
*You can add potatoes to this, if you’d like. Just make sure the chunks are small enough to cook in the 30 minutes time-frame and add them to the vegetables before drizzling with olive oil.