Main dish salads are one of my go-to meals for the summer. I love recipes like this Spicy Chicken Noodle Salad because it can be made in advance (read: in the morning when it’s cooler) and it’s a one-dish meal- all the carbs, protein, and veggies are included in one bowl.
There are quite a few Asian-type noodle salad recipes out there and I came up with this by combining a number I’ve used over the years. We like the combo of a spicy peanut dressing, grilled chicken, and veggies- it’s really refreshing on a warm night!
It’s pretty easy: while the noodles are cooking, chop the vegetables and chicken, and mix up the spicy peanut dressing. You can add more or less chili-garlic sauce (Sriracha), depending on the hotness you desire (or your family can handle).
And here’s one of the benefits of menu planning: plan a grilled chicken meal the night before and make extra for this salad the next day. Then mix the noodles with all the ingredients and serve right away or keep refrigerated until you’d like to serve the salad (just give it another stir before serving) – voila, an easy summer meal.
Plus, this is so good I could probably eat this salad once a week. Yu-um.PRINT
Spicy Chicken Noodle Salad
- 1 lb. linguine noodles (or Udon, if you have them)
- 2 Tb. peanut butter
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 2 Tb. rice vinegar
- 2 Tb. chili-garlic sauce (Sriracha), or to taste
- 1 Tb. honey
- 1 Tb. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 3 Tb. olive oil (or peanut oil, skimmed from the top of natural peanut butter)
- 4 c. sliced cooked chicken (about 4 thighs or 2 breasts)
- 1-1/2 c. grated carrots (about 2 large)
- 1 med. sweet onion, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchstick-sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley (or cilantro, if you’re a cilantro person…), plus extra for garnishing
Note: the vegetables are suggestions- use what you’ve got, that’s what we’re all about here at An Oregon Cottage! I’ve used shredded cabbage, snow peas, corn, and even tomatoes before- it’s all good.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions. When done, drain the noodles and rinse with cold water to cool them before adding the rest of the salad ingredients.
- While the noodles are cooking, chop all the vegetables and meat, and then mix up the dressing: Combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha, honey, ginger, and oil in a glass measure and whisk until smooth (alternately you can use a food processor).
- In a large serving bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with more chopped parsley on top.
Makes 8 servings