The rain is pouring down as I type this, so I’m glad I took the opportunity yesterday when it was dry to plant some of the seedlings I had started inside.
I had to toss the spinach seedlings, though- I didn’t get them in the ground soon enough and they were already bolting. Spinach is one touchy plant. I was just trying to get an early crop, but will have to settle for what I’m planting outside.
I’ve still got a few lettuce starts that are hardening off before I put them out, and tomatoes and peppers inside that I will be transplanting to larger pots in the next few weeks to wait for warm weather.
Here’s a checklist of the things I need to accomplish in the next few weeks, both in the vegetable garden and flower beds:
- Layer new compost/soil mix on top of raised vegetable beds
- Plant potatoes (yeah, I’m later than I like…)
- Cut off old leaves from strawberry plants
- Plant more peas (I only got some snap peas in earlier, I still need to put in a few English peas)
- Plant lettuce seedlings when they harden off
- Sow some lettuce, carrots, beets, and spinach (once the beds have been topped)
- Weed the back flower beds
- Finish cutting down dead foliage from last year (*blush*)
- Layer newspaper and compost on flower beds
Whew! What’s on your “to-do” list?